Tuesday, December 1, 2009

apt-cacher bug in Jaunty

I ran into this one. Basically the apt-cacher in the Jaunty repository (1.6.4ubuntu4) throws some error messages - "Error reading from server - read (104 Connection reset by peer)" - for some item checks requested by clients. It's fixed in upstream Debian Squeeze (ver 1.6.9) as far as I can tell. I had to download .deb directly from Debian, then used "apt-get -f install" to fix some dependency issues to dpkg it.

Another interesting issue I found is that the parser for /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/01proxy file in apt-get apparently ignores the proxy address, if you forget a semicolon in the header - I did precisely that, so having Acquire::http:Proxy in there - then it just silently went out without using proxy. It drove me nuts since there's no error message, until I paid close attention to my typing. :)

UPDATE: Now I ran into another bug, which prevents me from upgrading machines to Lucid. So I had to remove Debian apt-cacher (even their newest 1.6.11 doesn't work), and put on 1.6.7ubuntu4, which still has the original bug. Lesser of the two evils. Why can't Ubuntu and Debian address both?

No comments:

Post a Comment