Monday, August 3, 2009

Unscientific comparison of Vista and SUSE startup speed

It just so happened that I started two machines almost at the same time, and side by side.  The SUSE machine is an original HP MiniNote, with a lowly VIA C7, 512 MB memory, and 4 GB SSD.  The Vista machine is a relatively beefy Dell Latitude XT2 with Core 2 ULV 1.4 GHz, 3 GB memory, and 80 GB 5400 RPM HD.  Neither has much additional software on beyond the factory default.  I didn't time the two, but since realized the interesting comparison, so I did note the time difference.  From power on to browser open (Firefox for SUSE, IE 8 for Vista), MiniNote was only about 10 seconds behind XT2.  Both startups were between 2 to 3 minutes I think.  I'm sure SUSE 10 was optimized for the setup, while Dell's Vista install probably less so, but still the slowness of Vista was too apparent, considering how well equipped that XT2 is.

No comments:

Post a Comment