Thursday, November 6, 2008

The way Debian manages new network interface

When I upgraded my VM Workstation 6.0.4 to 6.5.0, the network for my Hardy Heron guest stopped working. First I thought it's just outdated VMWare Tools. But after I installed the new one, still no luck. I even tried this fix to make sure VMWare Tools does work - basically using the more compatible open-vmtools. No go. Still the same "no such device" message. Then I remembered the problem when I upgraded Ubuntu. It's the system using the new interface as "eth1". Indeed ifconfig -a showed a eth1. So I resorted to editing /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules. After correcting that, I had to rmmod vmxnet and modprobe it to get eth0 going.

BTW, now I know why Ubuntu ditched its /etc/iftab and went with this long ugly rules thingy - that's the orthodox Debian way. :-)


UPDATE: I also had to manually edit the vmx file to set up a static MAC, otherwise VMWare just divvy up a different MAC every time and the whole thing just keeps breaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment