- Checked "Language Support" under System > Administration. It said "Some languages are not installed completely". So, let it finish as prompted, and verified the languages I wanted are indeed there.
- Switch the keyboard input method system to "ibus" in "Language Support". The default was "lo-gtk" for some reason.
- Still, no joy when trying "Ctrl-Space". So, checking System > Preferences > IBus Preferences. It said "ibus daemon not started". Let it start as prompted.
- There seemed to be no additional input available in IBus Prefs other than English. Added what's needed.
- Now Ctrl-Space brought up the Panel icon, but still no input UI.
- Just out of curiosity, checked the ibus daemon process and noticed there's a defunct ibus-daemon process. Considering the battle of killing a defunct process, I simply restarted - gasp, bad PC habit! :)
- After logging in, rejoice!
Sunday, December 5, 2010
Getting Input Method to work on Lucid
I installed the Chinese language when installing the OS, but it's not available when I tried to use it. Here are the steps I went through to get it: